Windmill Museum Barn and Gift Shop
The barn that houses the Windmill Museum was built in 1889 and is known as a bank barn opening onto two levels. It is a classic example of mortise/tenon type construction-no nails. All the wood is hand hewn, and pegs are used to hold the structure together. The two main barn stringers are sixty feet long, each a solid continuous piece of wood.
Owned and donated by Walter and Marie Klinger, the barn was moved to the site from Avilla, Indiana. Ground was broken for the museum in 1993, and the barn was reassembled with precision. Amish workers marked all the pieces to aid in reassembling the barn. It took many hours and pieces of equipment for the craftsmen to move the largest timbers into place. It was slow cold work in February 1994. New pegs were installed to make the barn sturdy. Insulation was put on the outside to help protect it and metal siding was placed on the outside to maintain it.
The barn is the heart of the Mid-America Museum which houses multiple windmills, displays, a historical timeline display, a theater for viewing a windmill documentary, and a gift shop.
The Robertson Post Windmill, with its grinding wheel, is the replica of the first windmill built in United States. Its layout is based on plans of a 17th century post mill preserved in Cambridgehire, England, and also incorporates features of former American mills.
The restored Samson Windmill was dedicated to Sandra Day O'Connor, Supreme Court Justice, at the Mid-America windmill Museum Festival on June 26, 2004.
The Aermotor Power Mill was introduced in the 1880's and was around until the 1930's. Today these mills are comparatively rare. The Mid-America Windmill Museum located one of the Aermotor Power Mills and restored it to working condition.